Friday, December 02, 2005

Dorm Demolition

They're tearing down my dorm! I can't believe it.

I got a notice from the ISU Alumni Association two weeks ago of a special reunion being held this summer for Fisher Nickell residents.

This dorm holds a special place in my heart. It wasn't like the huge impersonal dorms you usually find on college campuses. It only housed about 40 people. It was co-ed, so we had both men and women. We were more like a co-ed fraternity, or an extended family, than a dorm.

This is the building where I met Der Deutscher. It was the International House. We had folks from all over the world... Greece, Lebanon, Panama, Japan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Singapore, South Korea, etc.

And it was unique. No two rooms were the same and most had some unique feature. Mine was actually slated for three roomates (as opposed to the normal two) but probably could've housed five or six under most dorm room size standards. It also had an attached, screened in back porch. And a fireplace (which they closed off between my freshman and sophomore years).

This summer I'll get the chance to re-connect with some of those old friends from Fisher-Nickell, grab one last glimpse of the room that saw so many changes in my life, and say good-bye to it all.

NImitz' Lady

No comments: