Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Day

So, despite all my forbodings, Christmas Day wasn't a complete wash.

I began the day just as tense as I'd been most of the week, ready to explode at the slightest nudging. But a church service filled with praise and thanksgiving songs went a long way toward soothing this savage beast.

Although not enough to keep my from nearly biting my lip in two to keep from verbally ripping a woman's head off in Sabbath School and stomping on it. We're studying the book The Five Love Languages on relationships. She kept trying to make it into a Man vs Woman power struggle thing. It's not. It's gender neutral. It's about how to recognize what your mate needs to feel loved and give it to them. (A very good book. I'd definitely recommend it.)

But that was the worst of my day. I managed not to turn Sabbath School class into World War III and moved on.

We had a light lunch, cold sandwiches, and began cooking for the elaborate dinner which just kept growing in size every time I turned around. We're still finishing off the leftovers two whole days later! Leftovers never last that long in my family.

Dinner was yummy. But we couldn't linger over it due to JBP's eagerness to get to the presents. He got lots of wonderful boy things. A Power Ranger (which I detest for it's campiness), matchbox cars with a DVD video, a Rescue Hero with snowmobile & two dogs to pull it, a couple of lego sets to build two different kinds of fire engines, etc. Enough to send any little boy into bliss.

Der Deutscher loved the Iowa State blanket I made him, even though he pretty much knew it was coming. I had to buy the material while we were in Ames and I couldn't shake him loose long enough to buy it without him. Oh well, he still liked it.

In fact, everyone liked my offerings. Thank goodness. I spent enough time making them. In the last two weeks I have made a total of three blankets, 12 pillows, 1 crocheted poncho and several dozen cookies.

At this point if I don't see another piece of fuzzy fleecy fabric for six months I would be perfectly happy. Okay, three months. By summer I'll be back at it, I'm sure.

Overall, things went swimmingly despite my scroogy mood. I hope your Christmas was the Merry Day you wished for.

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. I'll try to get some pictures up by the end of the week. I haven't even seen what Der Deutscher shot yet. =)

No comments: