Friday, December 23, 2005

Closed for Christmas

The recent controversy raging over some Sunday churches closing this week for Christmas absolutely puzzles me.

While I'm not one to say, you can't do that, it's wrong! I also simply can't imagine foregoing the opportunity to attend church services on this most Holy of holidays.

I think many people have forgotten that the term 'holiday' is a contraction of Holy Day, with capital letters.

For me, at least, Christmas is (should be) about remembering the sacrifice Christ made for us. First, in coming to this earth in human form and suffering through a human life for 33 years. Then, in dying to save us from our own sins.

That's one thing I admire about the Catholic Church (I disagree with them on many, many points of theology), they hold special services, or masses, on every holiday. They've remembered the meaning of the term.

So, for most of my life, I've eagerly anticipated years when Christmas falls on the weekend. Since we celebrate on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day I get a double whammy.

Last year Christmas Day fell on Sabbath (the 7th day of the week). This year CHristmas Eve falls on Sabbath.

Despite all my troubles this Christmas season, I can't wait to attend church services tomorrow and simply can't imagine deciding to forego a celebration of the greatest gift of all in order to open earthly presents.

Just my thoughts.
Nimitz' Lady

P.S. Here's a great essay on the theological reasons to attend/hold services this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And these are probably the same ones who get all bent out of shape if a store clerk wishes them "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

Ma