Monday, January 02, 2006

Thanksliving

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.


The leader of my Women's Bible Study gave the message this week at church. It was a message I needed to hear.

The end of '05 was a tough one for me emotionally and physically and the beginning of '06 is shaping up to be more of the same.

Her message was about Thanksliving. That is being thankful for all things in life, even the fleas!

She even used my favorite example of Betsy Ten Boom's prayer thanking God for the fleas in the concentration camp barracks during World War II. At the time Corrie Ten Boom thought Betsy was nuts. But Besty just quoted 1 Thess 5:18 to her.

Later Corrie discovered the camp guards wouldn't enter the barracks due to the fleas. This allowed the Ten Boom sisters to hold Bible studies that literally reached hundreds at a time.

It was a reminder to me to concentrate on the good things in life (I have so many, starting with my husband and son) and to remember that the bad things have a divine purpose, which I may or may not eventually figure out.

All I can say is, "Thank you, God, for inspiring this message I needed so badly."

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. You can read more about the Ten Boom sisters in Corrie's book The Hiding Place or in the ficiontalized account of her story in A Prisoner and Yet.

No comments: