Thursday, January 19, 2006

One Hour at a Time

Another tough day, but filled with small blessings.

Last night I accompanied a bunch of folks from the newsroom to a local bar, where most proceeded to attempt drowning their sorrows. Can't say that it really worked.

So, today began with a severe deficit of sleep. JBP couldn't have been better behaved however. He came in, quietly, and snuggled next to me until I fully woke up (not that I'd say I've truly achieved that status, even now!).

Then proceeded to spend most of the morning glued to my side. This kid can be snuggly when the mood hits him and he's very responsive to other's moods. He knew something was upsetting Mama so he stuck by me.

It was a wonderful morning, a balm to my troubled soul. Then I messed up the cookies. We were making cookies for to give to the ISU Women's Basketball team after their game in Colorado this weekend. Unfortunately, I screwed them up somehow, half of them were undercooked and had to be tossed.

I needed this morning's calm to come into work and actually try to accomplish something.

One thing all this has taught me is that it's time for me to get out of this business. I've talked about leaving television news for years. This is the kick in the booty I needed to actually put actions to words.

In the last week I've sent out cover letters and resumes to 12 different employers with open positions, everything from Public Relations Director to Newspaper Managing Editor to Public Educator at a local museum.

I'm doing my part, now God needs to step in and get the right people to notice me and offer me a job.

Hopefully it happens soon, because after the sale of our station is complete I will no longer be the Nightside Manager. Instead I'll be the morning producer. The shift is midnight to 8 a.m.

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep that sort of schedule up, physically. I'm just not as young as I used to be and I can't recover as well as I used to. I've been noticing that more and more the last couple of years.

I just pray I can keep it up until I find a new job, doing something outside of TV News!!!! And soon.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: