Monday, January 09, 2006

Bullets!

Overall, the crowd and atmosphere at the game in Stillwater was what I would expect at a Women's Basketball game. In a phrase: Family Friendly. One thing I did not approve of however was their mascot.

His name is something-or-other Pete. Prancing Pete, Pardner Pete, something like that. He's a big cowboy with a giant orange cowboy hat and two six-shooters strapped to his hips. Ok, so far, so good.

The bad part? Those are real pistols. And the mascot runs around shooting them off during timeouts and half-time.

The worst part? He also gives away the blank bullets to the kids as souvenirs. Now, I'm sorry. Even if I weren't a semi-pacifist who didn't believe in allowing kids to play even with toy guns, this would be a problem for me.

Bullets, even blanks, can injure and even kill people under the right circumstances. I don't care how careful you've been to disarm it, a bullet is NOT A TOY!

Out of respect for the home team, and because I didn't want to deal with a temper tantrum, I didn't take the bullet away from JBP until we got home. And even than I had to explain to him he wasn't being punished for anything. But I wouldn't let him play with it. I made him put it in his rear pocket and leave it be..

Bullets! I still can't believe they were giving kids bullets!

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. I just looked it up and it's Pistol Pete. Here's a picture

No comments: