Friday, January 06, 2006

Adoption Benefits

So, the new company taking over my TV station won't be offering adoption benefits. Of any sort. They won't even cover pre-natal and labor & delivery costs for the birthmother!

This is neither fair nor moral. If they offer pre-natal care, etc, for an expecting mother, it shouldn't matter who's doing the actual carrying. The 'expectant mother' remains their employee.

Needless to say I'm a little upset with this policy, or lack there-of.

As far as I'm concerned, this is something that should be federally mandated, just like maternity leave. If they'd pay for a woman to have a child "naturally", why shouldn't they pay the same amount for a woman (family) adopting? I just don't get it.

It's not like, as a potential adoptive parent I'm asking for special benefits. Just the benfits due me as an employee!

Maybe it's time to write my state and congressional representatives. Again. Or maybe I'll just bend their ear the next time we have them in for an interview. The advantages of working at a TV station!

The semi-hysterical thing about all of this is by the time I need/want adoption benefits two or three years down the road I may not even work here anymore. And if I am working here, I may have changed their minds about the whole thing, assuming they even still own us by then.

Hey, this is the shape my brain's been in all day, due to lack of sleep!

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: