Tuesday, November 15, 2005

TV Time

For the last couple of years, JBP's been on a limited TV diet of 1.5 hours a day.

It actually all started with 9/11. Up until then, I never let JBP watch Kid's TV. I always watched my morning news shows. I was a news junky. Hey, how else do you think I ended up being a journalist?

Anyway, with 9/11 things changed. JBP didn't really understand what was going on. But he knew something was wrong and that upset him. So, for awhile we went to no TV.

Then, he started waking up before Mommy and Mommy needs her sleep, what little she gets of it. So Mommy started letting him watch PBS Kids.

What started out as a half hour or so a day slowly grew. Until, when he's sick we let him watch TV/movies all day long. The only problem with that? He's constantly sick so he can watch TV.

Plus, my European husband is more of an American when it comes to the boob tube. From the minute his eyes open until he leaves the house and from the time he comes home until he goes to sleep the TV is blaring.

So, JBP was really getting 1.5 hours of TV time with Mommy and 1.5 hours with Dada. That's why yesterday I completely banned TV from the morning schedule. Even if it means I lose some sleep, as I did today.

I'm already noticing a difference in his behavior. Less frenetic, more energetic, more focused, more willing to go play, etc. Which isn't to say the complaints aren't still coming. They're just slowing down.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: