Friday, November 04, 2005

Adoption

Some have heard some of this story, others have no clue. But, I have always thought/assumed I would someday adopt a child.

In fact, when Der Deutscher and I got married adoption was officially part of our Family Plan. It wasn't until JBP was about a year old I found out we had completely different understandings of that plan.

To me it said, we'll have one child biologically (assuming it's possible) then adopt.

He thought it said, we might have one child biologically, then if we think we might be interested in maybe thinking about potentially having a second child we'll look at the possibility of maybe adopting.

With JBP getting older and, literally, demanding a sibling, I've begun pushing for us to look at adoption.

Der Deutscher's main issue, money. He's already freaked about trying to come up with enough money to completely pay for JBP's college education. Cultural differences I guess.

In my family, every child is expected to go to college and they're expected to pay for it themselves. In Der Deutscher's family it's the parents', almost legal, responsibilty to cover college costs. We're working on a compromise.

With these concerns, obviously he's not so sure how we can possibly afford to pay for an adoption, which averages about $15,000.

So, I've made a deal. I'll stop bothering him for now and start saving money. I'm hoping to set aside about $5,000 a year (barring any major emergencies, I'm leaving that part up to God.) And when I've got between $10,000 and $15,000 set aside, we'll re-visit the issue of adoption.

At the same time I'm saving I'll be praying God opens Der Deutscher's heart to our daughter, wherever and whoever she is.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: