Monday, November 07, 2005

"At All Costs"

My favorite herione is baaaaaack! After a three year hiatus, David Weber has released the latest installment in his Honor Harrington series. It's #11 in what many have come to call the Space Opera.

If you like Sci-Fi or if you just like a story with a good strong female central character, this is your type of story.

I can't say much about it, because Baen books just released it Thursday and if I give away the plot to fans who haven't read it yet I'll be one dead blogger!

Suffice to say, I read it in one sitting (it's some 300+ pages) and am impatiently waiting for Der Deutscher to finish reading it so I can start all over again!

If you've never read an Honor Harrington novel, I'd suggest you start with HH#1 On Basilisk Station. Any of the novels can be read independently, but they're ever so much better when read in order!

In fact, in preperation for this week, I've just re-read the first 10 books, some of which reach the 500 and 600 page size! One thing David Weber is not is short winded.

His plots are amazingly complex and will keep you hanging on right up to the last page. The only drawback is he gets waaay too caught up in the technical explanations of how this ship works or that missile targets things. When he starts going off on these almost tangents you can literally skip several pages and not miss anything.

But the skipping pages is worth it for the characters and the story. What a story!

And no, no one asked or paid me to provide a positive review for this book. It was completely spontaneous.

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read Honor Harrington novels? Maybe when Ipve finished President Clinton's autobiography. I'm almost finished -- only 250 pages to go.
Ma