Monday, November 21, 2005

Tages #1 & #2

Missing the Mark (11-17-05)

It's been ten years since the last time I traveled to Europe. Since then the money has changed. The last time I visited each country had its own currency and it was still doubtful whether the European Union would survive.

Today, the EU is a strong, going concern and it has co-opted all its members currencies with the ubiquitous Euro. It looks european enough, but it just lacks the history of the DeutchMark, the Franc, the Pound, etc.

Yet another change in this life I quess I have no choice but to accept.


Little Traveler (11-19-05)

JBP has once again proven what an excellent little traveler he can be. This 5.5 year old child sailed through the 14.5 hour trip across the ocean.

He only complained about his ears once, on the quick hop from our hometown to Chicago. After that he did fine.

On the long flight overseas, he spent most of his time watching the Cartoon Channel. This is not a channel I normally approve of, but it was the only child appropriate one available. So, I made an exception.

All our flights went well, except the last one. Fog at our destination city kept us sitting on the tarmac for more than an hour, waiting for permission to land. (As the flight was only about 45 minutes long, the tower wouldn't let us take off without landing permission.)

Der Deutscher and I had gotten little to no sleep on the long transatlantic flight and were pretty much in a stupor by then. JBP spent the wait quietly playing with the toys in his backpack. That let us sleep. Unfortunately, it also left us with toys spread out all over the place to pick up when we finally did take off.

After three flights and only four hours sleep, he was still able to be the perfect little gentleman upon arrival. He charmed his Opa, Miss Gudi, her brother Mika and his wife Miss Austria. (They all live in a charming four story home near the city center)


No Customs (11-19-05)

The first time I traveled to Europe, I was quite disappointed when I didn't get a stamp in my passport. Things have not changed under the EU. In fact, "customs" has gotten even easier to pass than ever. All the agent did was glance at my passport picture (which by now barely resembles me) then at me and ask me the purpose of my visit, before waving me through.

Ah well, at least I got a stamp in my old passport for entering and exiting Hungary!


Dream Kitchen (11-19-05)

Anyone who's visited my home knows my dissatisfaction with my kitchen, designed for a family that cooks with the microwave and eats out.

Needless to say, that is not my family.

Miss Gudi's kitchen, on the other hand, has enough room to move, plenty of storage for things like pots and pans, and a table that seats up to 10 people. Big surprise, my dream kitchen is in Europe.

Don't let me start about the bathrooms!


No Spanish Here (11-19-05)

I've spent the last several hours struggling to communicate in what is actually my third language. This is the language I've had the least training in and the least practice.

The most frustrating part of it is, since I'm trying to communicate in a language that is not English, anytime I can't come up with the word I want in the correct language my brain brings up the Spanish version.

The problem with this is, Der Deutscher does not speak Spanish. Nor does anyone else around here. So, while plenty of people speak at least some English, I might as well be in a county where no English is spoken.

Se habla espanol, anyone?


Schnell und Schneller (11-19-05)

JBP knows only one speed and that's full speed ahead. So, despite the seven hour time change he's just gone through he's still keeping a house full of adults hopping.

At least with six of us we can rotate out and get some rest.

Speaking of all these adults, JBP considers them nothing more than new toys. And, like any child with new toys, wants only to play with them. Forget the old, comfortable toys that have brought so much joy over the years.

While this is exhausting the rest of the household, it has allowed Der Deutscher and I to get some rest. Sort of.


(Wounded) Soccer Star (11-19-05)

JBP has a new favorite ball game, soccer. Our first night here, the family gathered around the TV to watch a recap of the day's games. Then, Sunday morning we all went to the local Castle Park to kick a soccer ball around with JBP.

He thought it was the next best thing to basketball. At least this is a "football" I can wrap my mind around!

JBP spent the next couple of hours running the lot of us ragged across the half-sized soccer field. During this time he took several tumbles, but rarely complained. Until the last one that is.

That time I was the goal keeper and, whilst defending my goal, accidentally kicked his feet out from under him. He landed with his elbow bent underneath him. No serious damage but a couple minor bruises and lingering aches.

Actually, it looks like I, the non-european, non-soccer playing Mommy, somehow came out the winner of the free-for-all we pretended was a game. Still haven't figured that one out.

Bis später, Nimitz' Lady

No comments: