Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ups and Downs

This has certainly been a weekend full of ups and downs.

Down: I mis-remembered the dates for the KSU vs ISU women's basketball game. Basically, I thought it was next weekend when it was actually this weekend. Luckily Der Deutscher had the dates right, so we didn't miss the game. But since I mis-remembered I didn't request the press passes in time. So, no seats on the baseline, no great close-up pictures and no video.

Up: Great game! We (Cyclones) were down by eight points at the half, came back after half-time, took the lead and stormed our way to victory. As Der Deutscher says, "un-necessarily interesting".

Down: This was our last game of the season (that my family will see in person) and thus the last time we'll get to meet and greet our adopted player, Brittany Wilkins, #51. This is her senior year. It was a very sad parting after the game.

Up: After four years of following Brittany's career we finally got a picture of the entire family with her and a hug each. I promise to post the picture later, after Der Deutscher gets it downloaded off his camera.

Down: Brittany asked us if we'd be able to make Senior Night (the team's last home game of the regular season, her last game at Hilton Coliseum, etc) and we had to tell her no. Of course, ever since then my mind's been working on ways to get us there. But so far I haven't found any feasible solutions.

Up: I was able to get up early enough Sabbath to bake cookies for the team and they seemed to appreciate them. Abby and Amanda insisted on giving me hugs in exchange. (Wow, after four years of following the team on the road, I finally get my first hugs - three in one afternoon. Der Deutscher, the rat, rode my cookie-coattails to a hug from Amanda too!)

Down: I specifically made those cookies for Brittany's last game (with us to watch) and I don't think she got any. She rode home with her father and roomate, rather than on the bus with the team.)

Up: The Olympics are on and JBP is just as fascinated with them as I am. His first words this morning to me were, "Mommy, are the Olympics on?"

Down: I had to work today, due to our efforts to win viewers during the Olympics. We're an NBC affiliate.

Up: I only have to produce the 5pm and I had it basically finished by 11:30 am. Hey, it's not like there's much "news" happening in the midwest on the weekend.

Down: I still have to stay and booth the 5pm newscast. Then I have to be back at midnight to begin my regular Monday shift.

Up: The U.S. has already won at least one gold medal (actually two, but the second one hasn't aired yet on NBC so I'm embargoed from telling you. You'll have to go look it up yourself.) in speedskating.

Down: Michelle Kwan has called it quits after suffering a second groin pull during yesterday's practice session. This was supposed to be her last Olympics. I'm pulling for her to return in 2010. Hey, 28 is NOT old! I don't care what those sportscasters keep saying.

That's my rollercoaster weekend. How was yours?

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: