Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Birthday Parties

A recent post on a blog I read regularly got me to thinking about kid birthday parties.

Ok, given the topic was already on my mind with JBP's big sixth birthday just around the corner next month.

In her post Vindauga makes a good point about kids birthday parties being waaaay overblown these days. In theory I agree. She's even come up with a good compromise with her kids, so only one of the three gets a "real" party each year, cycling through the kids over the years.

Only problem, I've only got one, very social, kid. He' s been "planning" this coming birthday party since about two hours after the last one ended.

This year, JBP has decided he wants a Basketball Party at the YMCA. This means he has to limit the number of kids to just 10. Not a problem in the sense that's the number that usually ends up showing up. A problem in the sense that we have about a 40% attendance to invitation ratio. Raising the question, how many to invite.

Oh well, after work I'll be heading to the Y to plunk down my $85 to reserve the party. And I'll be buying all the little favors, etc, that make modern kids birthday parties such a pain in the a*&. If I didn't my poor little socialite of a son would be devestated and I just couldn't handle that.

Not on his birthday.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: