Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Olympic Dreams

In another recent post on another blog I like to occasionally check on... the author writes about how her Olympic dreams have changed since having kids.

Namely, she used to day dream about *her winning an Olympic medal. Now she dreams about her *kids winning an Olympic medal.

Can't say that's happened to me. I still watch the games and dream about suddenly finding myself forced into an Olympic sport and succeeding beyong my wildest dreams. Pretty much the same dream I've had every two years since the mid-'80s when I first started watching the Olympics.

Besides, I don't need to dream Olympic greatness for my son. JBP's got that taken care of all by his lonesome.

Two years ago, during the Summer Games in Athens, we were watching the end of the Marathon when JBP started recreating the race in our living room, and bedroom, and bathroom, and kitchen.

This year, it's snowboarding, bobsledding and speedskating that have caught his attention. The last couple of days he's been pulling his Race Car wall stickers off the walls of his bedroom, putting both feet on the sticky side of one sticker and using it as his "snowboard". I've had to fight to keep him from "snowboarding" down the stairs on the danged stickers!

He likes the skiing stuff well enough and will put up with hockey, curling and figure skating. But it's the snowboarding in particular that he asks for every time I turn the TV on to the Olympics.

He's so into the Games he's actually started fussing and crying about having to go to bed before the broadcast is over for the night. He's also already promised I can have his gold medal when he wins it.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: