Friday, February 24, 2006

No Home Schooling

Well, today I face the loss of a dream, life plan, whatever, for my son, JBP. I will not be able to home school him. Not unless something changes drastically by this fall.

Starting next week I'm moving to a day shift. We simply can't afford, at this time in our lives, to pay for all day day care for him. And, I was unable to find a qualified tutor who wasn't a family member. (Der Deutscher's request, he feels more comfortable with someone outside the immediate family providing the schooling.)

So, for the next two to three months Grammy (my mother) will watch JBP in the mornings and he'll continue to go to day care in the afternoons. In late May, he'll start attending day camp at the YMCA. Then, in August he'll head to school.

The one upside of this is that by May of '07 JBP should be fluent in Spanish. "Hunh?" you say. We're going to try to get him into the Foreign Language Magnet School. It teaches Spanish. That takes care of my side of the family. Then he'll only have to learn German to take care of Der Deutscher's side of the family.

I'm glad JBP'll get the chance to start learning a foreign language so young, but I'm sad he won't get the homeschooling experience with its academic and life advantages.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: