Friday, February 03, 2006

Free Books

Due to free tickets from my station, Der Deutscher, JBP and I have been attending the local college's women's basketball games.

Sooner or later this necessitates the use of the public restroom at the arena. There I discovered an internet treasure.

Do I have you hooked yet?

See, it's this whole program where you leave books in public places for people to pick up, read and pass on. The idea is books want to be free!

All you have to do is go to Book Crossings on the internet, register your book, label it and then "release" it somewhere public.

If you find one of these books you can leave it for the next person, read it and release it or keep it. This is much the way original libraries were designed, until money got involved.

The site has 478,000 members worldwide with more than 2.7 million books registered. Imagine all those books just floating around, waiting to be found and read?

I think that's just soooooo cool. I can't wait to start releasing books of my own, all over the place. I've already become a member. Now I just need to collect some of my excess books at home, and Lord knows I've got plenty of those!, and register and rlease them. I can't wait.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: