Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Lost

Just three weeks shy of his sixth birthday, JBP has lost his first tooth. He is sooooo excited he could barely go to sleep last night.

To put this in perspective, about four (or five or six) months ago he watched a TV show with an episode about a little girl who loses her tooth, then literally loses it too and is worried about the Tooth Fairy not visiting her. Of course, it's TV, so everything got solved and the Tooth Fairy left her some change in exchange for her lost tooth.

Ever since then JBP has talked about getting his gift from the Tooth Fairy.

Of course, just like with Santa, JBP is well aware the Tooth Fairy is really Mom and Dad, but that hasn't lessened his excitement one iota.

His tooth has been loose for about three weeks now. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever come out. I've been especially worried since the replacement tooth has already poked through, behind the baby tooth!

There's little doubt he's going to have braces at some point. But I keep praying for a reprieve.

The tooth came out while he was brushing his teeth last night, before going to bed. Perfect timing. It was so small we tucked into an envelope before sticking it under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy.

As I left for work just before midnight I replaced it with an envelope containing a dollar in change. I stuck the tooth in his baby book.

When I was getting the change envelope ready, I remarked to Der Deutscher that given inflation we should give JBP a dollar instead of 50 cents. 50 cents is what I got when I was his age and we won't discuss just how long ago that was!

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. Sorry if I rambled a bit. I'm trying to stay coherent but I've also been awake since 1:00 p.m. yesterday and it's currently almost 6 a.m.! And I've got a good six more hours before I can lay my head down to sleep.

No comments: