Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Monkey Girl

Last night we took JBP to a local college women's basketball game (no Cyclones). At one point he started sliding down the bannister next to our seats.

I made the comment, "Be careful, I'd like grandchildren some day!"

A few minutes later JBP came to me and said, "I'm going to adopt a little girl and name her Tasha."

A minute or so later he added, "I'm going adopt a black one," meaning a black baby.

Then, as he was wrapping himself in pretzels around the bannister he said, "And when Tasha starts climbing around I'll call her Monkey Girl cause she'll be acting like a monkey."

I then had to explain to him that you never, ever refer to a black (african american, negro, colored, whatever description is currently politically correct) as a 'monkey' for any reason.

He still didn't really get it but promised me he wouldn't say it anyway. He's such a good boy.

I mean really, how do you explain centuries of prejudice and abuse to a 5 year old?

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: