Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Natural High

I'd forgotten what a natural high on camera work is.

Where does this come from? Well, last week at a Salvation Army dinner the station General Manager made a comment about me doing on air work. This got me to thinking and I realized on air work is the only part of the TV news business that still holds appeal for me.

So, I made a proposal to the News Director, my direct boss, that would get me out of producing and back into reporting.

He was, let's call it hesitant. As with most news directors he's reluctant to give up a good producer. Even half decent ones are hard to come by, let alone keep. And, with all modesty, I'm an award-winning producer. He doesn't want to give that up.

However, either he keeps me as a reporter and occasional fill-in producer or he loses me entirely. I don't think he's grasped that yet.

Anyway, all this brings me to tonight. We've been rehearsing the shows with some new digital equipment we got. Our sports guy knows my wishes to get back on air and had me fill in for him tonight during the rehearsal.

Two hours later I'm still flying high from that three minute stint in front of the cameras.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: