Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ups, Downs and Small Blessings

This last week has been filled with emotional ups and downs. First the surprise of finding out my father's been in ICU for more than a week and have a second surgery.

Then, the news the surgery went well and the doctors are positive about his recovery.

Then, getting to speak with my father on the phone for a few minutes. He was groggy and tough to understand but knew what he was saying.

Then, finding out he's sleeping too much and too heavily and his ventricular drain isn't draining.

Then, finding out he's going back in for a third surgery.

Then, finding out that surgery went well and doctors are positive about his recovery.

Needless to say, with every piece of bad news I've immediately hit the internet looking for cheap airfares so I can go be with him.

With every piece of improving news, I won't call it good, I've postponed plans to visit until he's well enough to appreciate the company. I'm sure my bosses are sick of my constant changing my mind by now. But, I don't know what else to do.

Blessings:

1) Having to produce the 10pm newscast all week since our regular producer is in Europe. It's given me a lot of work to stay busy with.

2) A phone with free long-distance so I can stay in contact with relatives across the country and with the nurses at the hospital.

3) Nurses who are wonderful, loving and kind, willing to take my incessant calls and answer my questions without complaint.

4) A college friend who called and chattered away at me for an hour this evening, keeping me from counting the seconds until I could call the hospital to find out how my father's third surgery went.

5) A semblance of peace and acceptance of, and even sympathy for, my step-mother who failed to tell anyone in the family my father was sick until we called them.

6) The wonderful ladies in my Wed. Bible Study and their incredible loving support and understanding.

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Wow, that's so hard to deal with from a distance. You're in my prayers.