Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Smallest Sparrow

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

First: My father is out of ICU. I don't know much else at this point, hope to learn more later tonight, but am living off the joy that he is obviously no longer in a life-threatening condition. Now to begin planning our visit to him next summer.

Second: This week I've had unfailing and slightly painful proof of this. Tuesday I took my car in for a long overdue oil change. I expected to pay $60 when all was said and done. Two days later, I've shelled out nearly $800.

Now, partly this is my fault for delaying car maintenance so long. I should've had my last oil change about 3,000 or three months ago. But, I also see God's will in this. If I had gone in last month, the problems would've still been there, still needed the work but I wouldn't have had the money to pay for it.

See, I've been stashing away money for the last two or three months to finance a shopping spree when we go to Europe in November. So, instead of needing to get a loan or use a high interest credit card I was able to pay cash (actually check) for hundreds of dollars of car repairs.

Now I am debt free and have a car that should safely carry my family through our basketball season travels. What I don't have is the money to pick up a lot of material possessions I didn't really need to begin with. Though I'm not denying the shopping would've been fun.

What a double whammy. A reminder God is always looking out for me by making sure I had the cash on hand and a reminder I don't need a bunch of things in this world because I have a fortune laid up for me in heaven.

Amen.
Nimitz' Lady

No comments: