Friday, October 21, 2005

Ten Fingers

As soon as I published my last post, I remembered something I'd meant to write about on Monday but never got the time to write.

JBP has been grounded all week for throwing rocks at cars on the road in front of our church last Sabbath. The grounding ends after we get home from church tomorrow.

That's the set-up, here's the "story".

One of the other mothers had told me what had happened and that a passing motorist had stopped and wanted to "talk" to us. I was furious as this was the first time I'd trusted JBP to play outside without adult supervision.

As soon as I got out the front door I yelled, "J..... S.... B.... P...., How many times have I told you not to throw rocks?!"

He looked at me, hunched his shoulders up around his ears, looked down at the ground and slowly raised both hands all ten fingers spread. "10?" he nearly whispered.

If I hadn't been so furious, I'd've rolled on the ground laughing until I cried.

The good news, the passerby settled for apologies from and a few acerbic comments to us parents and left.

God was so watching over all of us to keep those kids from hitting any of the cars and damaging them, or causing an accident and hurting or killing someone. It's happened. I work in a TV newsroom and see/report stories like that all the time.

Needless to say, he won't be going out to play unsupervised again for quite some time.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: