Thursday, September 15, 2005

Just the Chauffeur

Well, the moment has finally come. I am no longer "Momma! Momma! Momma!" I am now Just the Chaueffeur.

JBP is a very independent young man. Always has been. I mean this is a kid who could hold his own head up less than 24 hours after birth! So, I knew this moment was coming.

Today, JBP started attending "Mom's Day Out", a morning-long program for 3-5 year olds at the YMCA. This session is all about SPACE!

Anyway, we were the first ones into the room, with another mom and her little girl right behind us. I got JBP signed in and he immediately started rolling out the playdoh with a miniature cookie dough roller.

The other mom left. JBP looked up at me and said, "Aren't you supposed to leave, now?!"

That's when I knew it had happened. My baby boy had grown up and I was now Just the Chauffeur.

Fast forward a few hours. I'm getting ready to go back to work after my supper break. JBP is out in the court playing basketball with the BIG kids, including his hero Q, who lives next door. (To put it into perspective, Q is a 6 foot plus tall, skinny high school senior.)

I tell JBP, "Momma's off to work. Come give me a hug."

No response other than a wave. I say, "Give me a hug, I've got to go."

Still nothing. I turn to the car and say, "See you later."

JBP yells at me, "Bye Ma!" as he shoots (and scores, by the way).

Nimitz' Lady, Just the Chauffeur

No comments: