Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Perchance to... Teach?

That's right, teach. I have been invited to apply for a local high school's still open Spanish teacher position.

As I am not a certified secondary teacher this is only possible because the position is still open. Classes start mid-August, about three weeks! In other words, they're desperate.

If they offer me the job (duh! Of course, I'm applying!) and if I accept the offer it would, under state law, have to be contingent upon my then beginning to work toward certification.

I checked out what that would mean and: I would have to take three undergraduate classes (college algebra, basic statistics and general psychology) before I'd even be eligible for the local University's teacher certification program!

I don't know. I'd love to be a high school teacher. I've pretty much always seen that as my second career. And Spanish! La lengua de mi alma! In that way it couldn't be a better match.

It's the going back to school thing, while working, that has me concerned. I'm trying to get out of the TV News biz to get away from the awful hours/schedules and be able to spend more time with my family.

Just don't know what I'll do -- assuming this goes beyond the "Sure, send us your resume" stage.

Nimitz' Lady

2 comments:

Udge said...

Givben on the one hand that you "would love to be a high school teacher" and on the other hand that you "are trying to get out of the TV news biz", this decision seems really easy to me ;-) Go for it.

Pilarcita said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I just wish it were that easy.

If I were the only one to consider, you'd be right.

But, while my family can afford for me to take a paycut, I can't just take anything. I've got to still make enough to pay the bills.

If the job can't meet those requirements it doesn't matter how much it fits or I want it or the bosses want me.

We'll just have to wait and see.