Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bye-Bye Mommy

My mother, aka Grammy, has been living with us since my son, JBP, was about three months old.

It was never planned to be permanent. First she was just going to stay with us until she could find her own place. But then we figured, we were only going to stay in Iowa a few more months so why waste the money? We ended up in Iowa another year.

And then, when we moved here, we figured it was only temporary until she found a full-time job.

Five years later, she's finally found a full-time job. It's at Kansas State University (so we'll get to visit her when we go to watch the Iowa State Ladies play basketball there) which is about a two to three hour drive from us.

I love my mother. For the most part we're best friends. But we're also mother and daughter and I know we've gotten on each other's nerves occasionally over the last few years.

And I have to admit there will be certain advantages to "being on my own" again.

At the same time, my live-in babysitter is moving out! No more spontaneous runs to the movies, or the grocery store, or anywhere else for that matter!

But when all's said and done, we'll just plain miss her while she's off at college having fun.

Is this what they mean about "raising your parents"? I'm too young to be suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome, dang it!
Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Howling Latina said...

How lovely that you have such a close relationship with your mother.

My daughter moved to Egypt with her husband, where she'll be living for the next three years; and sometimes I'm tempted to pack up, show up, and see what happens!