Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Breathing Again

For awhile today I thought our exchange student, Die Spielerin, was going to have to go to another host family.

When we agreed to host her we were told the exchange program had a place reserved for her at the neighborhood high school who's district we live in. Only problem, when we went to begin enrolling her we couldn't.

A long story short, there was some paper work that according to the regs was supposed to be filed with the district by July 1st. Except Die Spielerin was an emergency, last minute placement. Not all that unusual with international exchange programs.

The old guy who was in charge of enrollment at the district knew this and would've just signed the paperwork and been done with it. Problem? He retired over the summer and the new guy was a real *()&&*^^%^%$#@!

I've never been treated so rudely in my life. Rudely, with contempt, as if I weren't worth scraping his shoes off on. Der Deutscher plans to file an official complaint over his treatment of me with the district.

In desperation I went back to my school (where I teach, a separate district) and ask my principal, again, if he would accept Theresa. He had original said no due to the number of students expected to enroll this year.

Well, with all the delay, about 10 minutes before I asked him, he got updated enrollment numbers that were lower than the projections. So, he accepted her.

¡Gracias a Díos!

So, long story short, everything worked out. Die Spielerin will attend the smaller school I teach at, rather than the gigantic school I live near. And I am now recovering from near heart attack level palpitations.

Man I need some chocolate! Except it is verboten on my diet. Danged diet!

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: