Friday, July 13, 2007

Mirror Image

In my recent efforts to fix up the house for sale I've spent quite a bit of time carting large lots of materials around in my mini-van.

Yesterday I bought two gliders to replace a cat-ruined love seat in our upstairs. We did manage to cram both of the gliders and both of their hassocks into the van. But it left me with absolutely no view out of my rear view mirror. I had to use the side mirrors.

Now, I didn't lose any visibility overall, as I do have two side mirrors properly placed. But, that doesn't take into account habit.

You never realize how accustomed you are to using something, or doing something, in a particular way, until you can't. I must've looked into that rear view mirror a hundred times on the 15 minute drive home.

It reminded me of when I had to drive the live van at WOI around the state of Iowa. With all the microwave and editing equipment in the back you might as well have completely removed the rear view mirror. It was completely useless.

Of course, that wasn't the only problem with driving that ancient monster (I think it was on a first name basis with such other ancient creatures as the Loch Ness Monster, Grendel and Gollum). It had the worst steering I've ever felt in my life. If you even looked at the steering wheel the van would move 15 feet to either your left or right.

That's before you even start talking about all its mechanical difficulties. It was officially monikered Live 5. We who had to drive it, oh so affectionately, referred to it as Death 5.

And that's why you go into TV News. For the war stories you get to tell!

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your headings. Mom