Friday, July 13, 2007

Designing Woman

Okay, I had this post 90% complete when I somehow managed to completely erase it! (*&*&%^$$#@@#! computers!

It's time to sell our house and I've spent much of my summer working toward that goal.

See, when I switched jobs last August (from TV News to High School Teacher) my daily commute went from 12 minutes, one way, to approximately 35 minutes, depending on traffic. I don't like that.

Back when I was a cub reporter at WOI-TV in Iowa my commute was a whopping 45 minutes, one way. I drove that for eight freakingly long years. When we moved here I swore I would never live more than 20 minutes from work again.

Which means I've spent much of this summer doing things like finding contractors to do the things I can't do, like remodeling a bathroom and painting the house (inside and out!).

I've also been trying to fix the place up to "showcase" the house, as they put it on all those design shows.

This has had Der Deutscher sniggering at me for at least a solid month now. He says I'm starting to sound like those "frelling design shows".

So far, I've re-arranged the table in the dining room/common area upstairs to create a "reading nook", changed out the curtains, bought new blinds (haven't put them up yet) for all the upstairs public areas, pasted up paint color samples, replaced mattresses in JBP's room and replaced a love seat in the public area upstairs.

Today, I clean out the garage. Then, I'll tackle the family room, spare room and utility room in the basement.

We're not planning to put the house on the market until things warm up in the spring, but we need to get as much work done this summer, while I'm NOT working!, as possible. Thus the rush.

Just call me "Julia".

If you don't get that reference, you're too young to be reading this blog!

Nimitz' Lady

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm too young for that reference.
Love, Mom

Pilarcita said...

Designing Woman -> Designing Women -> Main Characters -> Julia

Anonymous said...

Duh! Obviously, I'm way too old. I know the show, of course; just don't remember the names of the characters. I gotta eat more blueberries.
Love, OLD Mom