Friday, July 13, 2007

Off to School

Well, I may not have to go back to teaching school until mid-August, but I go back to school as a student next week.

See, when I was hired I was a TV News Journalist. I shot, reported, edited, produced and managed the news for 13 years. I did NOT have any sort of teacher certification. In fact, I taught the entirety of last year on an emergency substitute's license.

This must be changed.

The good news is, I do have a college degree in both Journalism and Spanish. This means I can go through a special restricted licensing program in my state. I can enter the classroom immediately, or last year as the case may be, and teach under another instructor's "supervision" while I'm taking the necessary education courses.

It will take me three years to complete full certification. That process starts Monday.

Most of the classes will be online. But the first one I actually have to show up for in person. Which is something of a problem since the university which administers the program is a 2.5 hour drive away. (Remember my thing about long commutes?)

The good news, the class only lasts a week and I have a college friend who lives in the area. So I'll be camping out at his place for the next week.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: