Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Thyroid Doctor

Today I had my followup visit with my new thyroid doctor, aka endocrinologist.

My TSH (the main test used to diagnose/control thyroid levels) was .05, the extreme end of normal before jumping into hyperthyroidism. The good news, even though this would panic most doctors, he didn't even suggest lowering my prescription. And, as with most Hashimoto's sufferers, low to non-existent TSH levels are what it takes for me to feel normal. No matter what the tests say.

Also, I do not have insulin resistance, despite my age, family and racial heritage.

I do have elevated cholesterol levels (Total: 214, HDL: 54, LDL: 144) and a Vitamin D deficiency. So he gave me a prescription for a supplement.

Finally, despite all my walking, I weighed 3.5 pounds more than my last visit eight weeks ago.

All this may or may not make much of a difference in my life, health or appearance. But somehow I walked out of there feeling positive about things. A big change from Dr. Hypochondria.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: