Sunday, May 28, 2006

God's Way

I don't often comment about the whole immigration debate. I guess mostly because even though I have my opinions, as a Puerto Rican American I don't really have a vested interest in it and feel like an interloper.

But this letter to the editor in today's paper really got me:

Uninvited Guests

Regarding illegal immigration, compare the curent events to this analogy:

How would you feel if an uninvited guest came into your house, opened your refrigerator and helped himself to food and drink? Would you be concerned if this guest then used your heat, air and gas utilities, or even worse, required medical attention, leaving you to foot the bill? It would not take very long to get tired of that situation -- economically and socially.

Comparatively, the same thing is occuring in America. It is on a much larger scale. Literally hundreds of uninvited guests are crossing the border each day, drainig us economically and socially. In addition, there are security and safety issues to consider. Still feel the same way?

You should.


I'm proud to say my first instinctive response to this letter was religious, not political. Not always the case with me.

I read this and immediately thought, but God would want me to let them in and offer any and all hospitality I could.

Jesus said, "If a man asks for your coat give him your shirt too." And we can't forget the story of the Good Samaritan, he not only paid for the injured man's medical bills but his room and board too.

As for the concerns about criminals, even former criminals can be rehabilitated. And, the Lord protects his own. If I'm helping someone out in His name, than anything that happens is in God's cause. Whether it's good for my life or not.

"For we have often entertained angles, unawares." Who knows how many of those angels are "illegal".

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Msabcmom said...

Your post here made me think of something I saw on Latina Lista's site. Here is the link: http://latinalista.blogspot.com/2006/05/should-it-be-against-law-for.html

I too feel that is is my responsibility to do what I can for others, whomever they may be, because it is the right and morally just thing to do.