Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First Day of School

One day down, 179 (or so) to go. And, although I haven't had any classes yet I'm quite optimistic about the coming year.

Die Spielerin appeared to get along well. She spent a lot of time with the other exchange student at our school this year, Miss Hong Kong. Today was mostly about the freshman, so other new students who weren't freshman didn't have as much to do. Tomorrow (Wednesday) classes actually begin. I'm not sure, but I think she's a bit nervous. I am sure she'll do fine.

JBP had a great first day. Unlike at the high school, it was a complete school day for him. Although, his day did start at 3:30 am! That's when he came into our room, fully dressed for school, and said he couldn't sleep anymore. I made him go back to bed.

His teacher, Mrs. A, called me about 1pm to ask if he could go to bed earlier as he was tired and it was affecting his behavior. When I informed her he goes to bed at 7:30pm she was shocked. It wasn't until after school I thought to let her know about the early morning incident.

But, when I called after school she was nothing but praise for his behavior. When given a choice of behaviors and outcomes he made the right choice every time! He finished the day with NO problems. She and I are both very upbeat about how this year should go.

She made a very astute observation after only one day with JBP, something I kept trying to convince folks of last year. In her words, JBP is like a balloon. At the least negative word he deflates. But positive praise fills him up like helium! I really think she's the right match for him. An answer to prayer.

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I talked to him briefly yesterday evening, and he seemed very happy. He told me his teacher was from Alaska. I said it's very cold there in the winter," and he said, "You'd love it there, Grammy."
Love,
Mom