Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dangerous Apathetic-ness

Went to get my driver's license renewed today. You'll never guess what happened. The lack of caring about quality by government workers reached a new high. Or is that low?

In my state, to renew a driver's license you're mailed a test along with an instructional booklet with all the answers in it. All you have to do is take the test, at home, bring it in and have it graded to get your new license.

Me, being me, lost the test. So, today I went in expecting to have to take a standard written test, closed book. When I got there the lady at the first window told me I would take it open book. Ok. Whatever.

Then I moved on to the second window and paid. From there I went to the third window and got my picture taken.

At which point the lady at window #3 told me, "That's it. You're new license will be mailed to you."

Duh-wah? When I reminded her I was supposed to take the test, she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, I already took your picture, so I guess you're done. Have a great day."

I remain flabbergasted!

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And, too often, our students expect the same thing: I pay my money, and I get my certificate/dipoloma/degree. I guess we teachers are obsolete. All schools need now is a P.O. box and someone to pick up the checks.
Mom