Sunday, January 21, 2007

The "Right" Thing

I can just hope I've done the right thing by one of my students.

He was one of two students of whom I was particularly proud. They were failing my class but really worked hard and turned their grades around. They attended study groups, got help from me, etc. Did what they had to do. In the end they both got C's. But they worked harder for those C's then did the kids who got A's in my classes last semester.

So, when the opportunity came around this month I nominated them for Student Of The Month. They deserved some recognition for their hard work. Evidently the principal agreed with me because he picked the young man as Student Of The Month.

So far, so good, right?

Last Friday the announcement was made over the P.A. during homeroom. My homeroom class (of which the young man is NOT a part!) hooted with laughter and derision.

Now I'm worried instead of providing him with some well-earned praise for all his hardwork all I've done is opened him up to a month full of teasing and other sorts of high school chicanery.

I just pray, with him being just a sophomore, that this turns out to be a school career highlight, as it was meant to be, and not a low-light.

Nimitz' Lady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel with you. He certainly deserved the recognition. I hope the other students realize why he got it.
Mom