Sunday, January 21, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Since I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions - they never end up going where you really want them to go - I started my new healthy living quest after Thanksgiving.

I'm really trying to eat better (sweets only as treats, a salad a day, etc.) and work out more often, and smarter.

Overall I feel like I'm doing pretty well. But, it didn't seem like my body was budging. So, when the New Year hit and all the gyms, as always, offered giant discounts on things like personal training, I took my gym up on it.

So, for the last two weeks I've been working out with a personal trainer once a week and following the workout plan she sets up for me the rest of the week. While I have managed to do the number of workouts she's set, I haven't always managed to do the style. See, there are these pesky winter storms that keep interrupting my ability to get to the gym. So, I workout at home to one of my TaeBo DVDs, of which I now have almost two dozen - and that's a whole 'nother post!, or, as I did today, I just shovel the driveway.

As good a workout as TaeBo is, and I'll hype it to just about anyone!, it just can't hold a candle to shoveling out a 20 foot long driveway! Especially when you follow that up with taking your 6 year old sledding with his Christmas sled. He had a great time, by the way. But I'm so sore I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Time to take a hot bath, followed by a mediocrely warm shower, a half dozen or so aspirin (tylenol, advil, poison of your choice!) and try to get some sleep.

On top of the workout aches and pains, I think I may be coming down with the creeping crud. Der Deutscher's had it since last weekend when HE shoveled the driveway. It's just enough to make you miserable without being bad enough to let you stay home for a day, or two, or three.

Here's hoping a good night's sleep, lots of orange juice and the will of Atlas will keep the crud away.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: