Sunday, December 10, 2006

One Nation, Under God

Every Friday, my school district says the Pledge of Allegiance. I choose to say the Pledge as it was originally written, without the words "Under God".

I hold very strong Separation of Church and State beliefs. And saying the Pledge the way the Knights of Columbus changed it in the 50s violates many of them. So, rather than not say it at all, I say it the way it was originally intended.

This last Friday, JBP came home with a sheet that had the Pledge written out on it. He's also obviously been learning it in his class as he can now recite the entire Pledge, ad nauseum, without referring to the sheet.

At that point I felt I needed to sit down with him and try to explain WHY I choose not to say two little words in the Pledge. I explained it was a personally choice and there's nothing wrong with saying the words, Under God. In fact there are some good reasons a person might choose to do so. But, my personal beliefs preclude my doing so. Now, he'll have to make his own choice.

I'm not sure what he'll decide. Or if what he decides will be his permanent choice. (Yes, you grammarians out there, I know I just wrote in a fragment. It's called being conversational.) But, I am now sure he'll at least be aware of making the choice, rather than just blindly repeating what others teach him.

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. JBP has been "reading" over my shoulder as I write this (that means he's been making me read it to him as I write) and says he'll be saying it my way. We'll see if that decision holds up to peer pressure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I called Sunday, JBP said to me, very indignantly, "Do you know in the 1950s (He doesn't know what they are), they pushed 'under God'? I'm not going to say it. I worship the REAL God. (I don't know where that came from)." Then he reciterd the Pledge to me, sans the objectionable phrase. I, too, explained ther Separation of Church and State and why a phrase that's good in itself does not belong in a public (and often required) declaration.
Mom/Grammy

Anonymous said...

It is scarey that you are a teacher in the wonderful state I grew up in. You are way to liberal and I personally would pulll my child out of your class or be up your ass weekly!

Pilarcita said...

There are several things I could say, but am too adult to post on my own blog.

I'll settle for a simple, if you don't like what you're reading here you are welcome to find something else to read.

That's the beauty of this country, free speech and free choice.

Msabcmom said...

Nimitz Lady you definitely are a lady in every sense of the word by not responding to Kit. I however would like to say a few words.

1) Thank you SO much for joining the teaching world and educating our citizens of tomorrow. As a teacher, it makes me glad to see other fellow teachers doing good things with their students. As a parent I am comforted to know that there are teachers out there who are not forcing their own personal and political views on their students and potentially my child. I would like to be the one to guide my child's understanding of the world in which we live so that she may make informed decisions and choices on her own.

As far as the Pledge of Allegiance goes, I too don't believe in the under G-d phrase. I have many personal reasons for feeling that way.

I choose to not say the pledge but do not hinder my students from doing so. I have taught them how to do it, taught them flag etiquette and then have a leader to take care of the pledge. In my 11 years of teaching not one student has asked me why I don't salute the flag. Additionally, the many Jehovah Witnesses I have had throughout the years have been appreciative of my supporting them and their right to not salute the flag.

I have not yet chosen to share with my daughter my feelings about saluting the flag primarily because she is at a time in her life where she is easily influenced by those that are close to her. If I say something that I feel strongly about then she too feels the same way. I don't want my opinions to become hers because I said so. I want her to find her way. As a result, she salutes the flag at school and can't wait to be the class leader to salute the flag. She has no clue as to what the salute means but she is happy to have an important class job. I am ok with that. (By the way Nimitz' Lady, please don't think I am judging your choice to talk to your son. My daughter is just not ready yet - she is mature in some ways and not so mature in others. )

2) A big problem that we as teachers face are parents such as the one who commented above. What kind of educated person speaks to another human being with such animosity and filthy language? I am more than happy to listen to and address problems/questions that parents have. Is it too much to ask that we treat others the way that we would like to be treated? Since when is it ok to go around threatening others and swearing at them?

3) Last but not least, if liberal is a dirty word then I need a HUGE bath! :-)

Keep on keeping on Nimitz' Lady. I for one would consider it an honor for you to take a part in educating my daughter.

¡Feliz año nuevo amiga!

Pilarcita said...

Thanks for the props. The interesting thing is, tomorrow is the first time the whole Pledge, me and a class thing will ever occur.

Up until now I've had plan period when the high school kids do the Pledge. I figure I'll go ahead and do it, just skip the words I disagree with.

I won't preach to them. But if asked, assuming anyone even notices!, I'll answer questions.