Thursday, November 30, 2006

Snow Day!

I got my first snow day today as a teacher. JBP got his first snow day ever. It's been a long time since a storm of any sort has meant anything to me other than overtime. It felt good to just crawl under a warm blanket and watch TV with my son, drink cocoa and bake cookies.

All told we only got about 3 inches or so of snow. Der Deutscher and I spent quite a bit of time joking with others transplanted to this area from real Snow States -- how this is nothing. In Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, etc, it wouldn't even get a second thought. Here it shuts down half the state. Oh well, I got a "free" day.

And what a note to end it on. Der Deutscher has been wanting to get me into a newer car ever since I started teaching. My new commute is about an hour a day, half an hour each way. He doesn't feel comfortable with the reliability, or lack thereof, of my 1998 Nissan Altima.

We'd test driven a couple of vehicles and pretty much decided which one I liked. But we wanted to drive it again in bad weather. Like, oh say, today? See, when we bought the Altima we got it in the Spring. Didn't find out until six months later that it sucked on snowy and icy roads. We did NOT want a repeat of that experience.

After the second, successful, test drive tonight we learned there were several attractive incentives and deals available on the Mazda 5 mini-van... this month. Which ends at midnight tonight. So, we ended up driving it home, tonight.

I'm still in shock. (And a little bit afraid to breathe in my own vehicle now! =)Are all snow days this good?

Nimitz' Lady

P.S. The only reason we got a brand new vehicle was because I insist on driving a stick shift and the chances of finding the Mazda 5, or any other decent vehicle, used in a stick are next to nil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray on your new car!

Pilarcita said...

Did I already say I was in shock? Cause I still am. The only thing missing was the big red bow on top of the car you see in all those TV commercials. And I wouldn't be surprised to discover that come Christmas morning! Shock! Shock! Shock!

Anonymous said...

Der Deutscher is a prize, and I'm happy for both of you. Here's wishing you safe driving. Mom