Saturday, October 06, 2007

Popping up for air

Sorry for the long absence folks. This fall has been busier than I'd ever imagined teaching could be.

It's not just the teaching, like last year. I'm also taking courses in education to eventually get a full license. Right now I only have a license to teach Spanish at my high school. I can't teach anything else, anywhere else.

Plus, I was trying to help a group of my students raise money for a trip to Spain next spring. Yes, I said "was".

I started out with a group of nearly 20 kids saying they wanted to go. Once they found out the cost, it fell to about 13. Then, I lost about a student a week for a few weeks. Finally, I was down to what I thought was a solid group of seven students. Then, three more dropped out. I told the kids they had to sign up with the program online and make their downpayment by midnight Friday. They didn't. I cancelled the trip. I wasn't about to start fundraising for an event that might not happen. I'd feel like I was defrauding the public.

In other news, I got to hang out with some old friends from my last TV job last weekend. On Friday, the sports guys came out to my high school for Football Friday. I was always close to the guys in the sports department. Probably my tom boy roots showing. Then, on Saturday, I attended the Race for the Cure, which is a big event for the female evening anchor.

JBP, Der Deutscher, Die Spielerin and I are all proud to say we completed the 5K walk. Die Spielerin is to be especially commended as we completely forgot to tell her about the annual event until we rousted her out of bed that morning!

On Monday, I had a student who'd seen me hanging out with the sports guys on Friday, ask me why I wasn't in news anymore. "You looked so happy!" she said.

I told her being in the field, liveshots, etc, were what I'd liked the most about the TV biz and I never got to do it anymore and wasn't going to be able to do it again in this market and had no chance of moving on to a station outside this market.

I also told her teaching makes me just as happy!

Meanwhile, last week was Homecoming at our high school. Die Spielerin (the exchange student living with us) chose to go to the game and dance afterward. Her opinion of the whole event, the festivities were lots of fun, the game was boring. She so fits in with us. She's going to love basketball season.

On that note, I'm signing off for the night. Don't know when I'll be back, so check in regularly.

Nimitz' Lady

No comments: