Tuesday, August 22, 2006

First Day

Today was my first day in front of a classroom. I thought I was prepared, right up until the kids started showing up.

I've got enough experience at public speaking that I didn't "show any fear", but by the time I got out of that class I was shaking so badly I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it to the teacher's lounge without falling.

Thank goodness I have lunch right after my first class (actually, my schedule goes: planning, Spanish 4, lunch, Spanish 3, Spanish 2, Homeroom). I needed the time to get myself back together.

The good news, I made it through the first day without falling on my face. The bad news? I've still got three more days to survive. I'll keep you updated.

Nimitz' Lady

Oh, and I've still got to figure out how to dual teach a class where half my students are taking it for college credit and half aren't (and where I still don't understand exactly what it is I'm supposed to be teaching for the college credit!).

Also, I waaaaaay overestimated how much Spanish these kids would know. I wasn't expecting college level Spanish, but certainly more than this. I'm hoping much of it was just rustiness from a summer off. But somehow I doubt it.

No comments: