Monday, August 21, 2006

Back to School

Well, I'm officially a teacher. Can't remember if I posted that or not. The last few weeks have been so hectic I'm not even sure I remember my name. You'll let me know if I forget, right?

Anyway, things couldn't have worked out better. JBP is attending the elementary school literally right next door to the high school I teach at. It's a smaller, rural district near a big city. Which means it has lots of the big city options without the big city problems.

And, to top it all off, the placement exam for JBP (to determine if he'd attend 1st grade or kindergarten) showed he has some tendencies toward dyslexia. I only just last January learned that other close family members have dyslexia, and it tends to run in families. The good thing is, if he has it, which is by no means a certainty at this point, it's been caught well before JBP could suffer any scholastic damage.

And this never would've happened if we hadn't decided to move him over to the school district I'm teaching in. God cares for us even when we don't know there's a problem!

My first day of classes is tomorrow (today was just Freshman orientation and I don't have any freshmen level classes) so wish me luck. JBP's first day was today. Overall he had a good day, enjoyed school, etc. There was one incident that led to the principal calling me (mainly because JBP pulled his typical mute routine) that boiled down to a misunderstanding. Hopefully that's the worst we have to deal with. Pray for JBP. The last thing I want is for him to hate school.

Well, I'm tired, and frankly can't think straight enough to relate any "stories" of what's going on right now. Hopefully I'll be able to think better later this week. I must say the marathon does appear to be finally slowing down. I might even be sighting the finish line on the horizon.

Nimitz' Lady

4 comments:

Msabcmom said...

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Pilarcita said...

Thanks! I need every ounce of Buena Suerte I can get!

Howling Latina said...

Teaching is the noblest profession; and most teachers I know love their work.

Summer off; out of the rat race!

Pilarcita said...

Yep. I'll be getting holidays, like Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc, off for the first time in 13 years!!!!!!!

Even if the next few summers are spent working on certification, that alone is worth the job switch.